Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bike fun at last

It's been a long time a coming, haven't been out on the bike for yonks and yonks, what with my broken leg n' all.

For the last few weeks I've been building up to this day, just waiting to be comfortable with the strength in my ankle.

I've had to buy new protective clothing too. My leathers won't fit for some time yet due to the size of me at the moment so that was a quick exit of £180 from my meagre bank balance, then there was the matter of insurance and tax. Comp insurance was only £122 so there are advantages to being a dinosaur after all. I remember paying £800 TPFT when I first started on my 750cc Honda.

So....charged up the battery, warmed her up, replaced the tax disc, put some air in the tires, filled her up and rang GSX guy.

I met him in the hospital, where we were following each other around with our crutches having our casts off, and x-rays, and then trekking over to the physio dept. He was a boy racer on those crutches and I was the one with 'L' plates. I'd been well looked after during my time in cast but he'd had no such luxury. He lost weight as a result and I'd gained a ton.
He had fallen on the first day of his skiing trip somewhere cold and snowy, and broke his tib & fib. He had to have a plate fitted, so had a scar running down his leg to hinder his recovery too. We got chatting, as you do, and gave him a lift home afterwards to save him a bus journey.
Turns out he has a bike too, also sitting in his garage gathering dust, waiting and waiting to be taken out for a ride.
A week later we took him out for the day on the Trike down to Littlehampton and nattered away easily. I said I'd keep in touch, so that I could drag him out, kicking and screaming in protest, for bike rides,...if he'd even consider riding with a Harley.
So, today was the day, I was well excited, champing at the bit I was. GSX guy turned up on his GSXR 600 and deemed me suitable company for the day so off we rode, leaving Gadgetman working on the Trike.

A few weeks ago the gearbox seized, and since then he has had to take the gearbox and engine out, send off the box for repairs, and yesterday he picked it up again. Next weekend we are off to a bike rally so he is keen to see if he can get it back together before then. So much for a relaxing fathers day today for him.

I got that buzzy happy smiley feeling as we rode along the familiar roads to Newlands Corner, my bike responded beneath me to every curve and straight, she felt so good, she sounded great, I felt at home and at peace within.

Time flew by as we sat with our coffees at Newlands in the mid afternoon sun, then we headed off down the A281 to Devils Dyke, down near Brighton. The A281 is actually a really decent riding road, lots of little villages, a fair few open stretches of road to open up on, some nice bends, plenty of over-taking opportunities, (which is just as well cos Sunday drivers were out in force), uppy-downy bits, and the big hill at the end.

Yet again I missed the turning for the top of Devils Dyke, so took the long way round. The pub at the peak is so poorly sign posted, only those in the know can ever get there. There are lots of sign posts outside carparks for 'Lower Devils Dyke' this and 'upper Devils Dyke' that, but none that indicate the way to the top. You'd think that I'd be one of those in the know by now, considering that this was my 3rd trip up there, but each time I've got it wrong, and too much time has passed between each trip for a blonde like me to remember.

It was chilly up there today, the sun of Surrey was replaced by the cloud of Sussex, and the chill of sea air. Nonetheless we sat outside with our soup and coffees, and enjoyed the far reaching views. Box Hill, Leith Hill and The Hogs back lined the horizon to the north, and the South Downs stretched east and west into the distance. Walkers dotted the hills, and kite flyers took advantage of the breeze.





Time passed quickly by as our bikes sat and cooled in the car park, then we just had to start northwards again. We discussed blatting back up the M23, but opted for the same route back because of all the Sunday day-trippers that would clutter the M23 and get in the way of a blat. Not a lot used the A281, only locals really, so lots of vehicles travelling at 40mph and turning off to go home. We broke up the journey back with a pit stop at Box hill then headed off to our respective homes.

5 comments:

meredic said...

Good to see you back in the saddle as it were. That looks lovely.
I so enjoy the A roads of that Sussex Kent borderland myself (when I can get there....) Must remember noit to bumble along at 40mph though. Mind you, I do pull over for bikes.
And you look pretty fit to me even if you aren't feeling quite there yet.
Cheers.

Theblonde said...

Aw gee meredic, thanks, though I think you are away with the fairies somewhere......
Funnily enough I thought of you today because a fellow biker at work was talking about the lovely empty roads up in your area....I really must come up on the bike and see for myself sometime....

Pat said...

Looks like a nice boy and I'm sure you both had a therapeutic and pleasant day out.

Anonymous said...

Heya big sis, good to hear you're back on the bike! Riding along those english roads brings back fond memories for me too - especially many blasts down to Slindon through Petworth.

Theblonde said...

Pat - Indeed....my kind of therapy.

Pete - Ah - yes, that would be the A29, across the valley and up Bury Hill, another route we bikers use, nice coffee stop on the top, as shown in previous posts.