Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Blonde does Brighton

Yesterday afternoon the rain went with the wind to Norway or somewhere and I went to Brighton with the Harley. I opted for the scenic route and somehow ended up approaching the south coast town from a new direction, over Devils Dyke and down, down streets that point towards the waterfront like in 'The streets of San Francisco', (in miniature). I'd printed off a map of where this recommended pub is but couldn't easily to stop to see if I was nearby, (on a steep hill?- a bad move), so glanced up at the street signs as I neared the sea ahead. This definitely wasn't the touristy part of town, these were narrow streets with four and five storey apartment blocks. Well, what d'ya know, there it was. 'The Lion and Lobster', Not obvious or anything. I wonder what the history is behind that name.

I popped in for a coffee to warm my insides and sat at the bar near the door. I figured I blended in as a girlie biker in leathers as easily as the pub fitted in the white-lined street. It was a busy time of day and the many bank holiday patrons kept staff busy pulling pints and serving spirits, not a good time to ask about the history and character of the place. Photos, paintings, maps and allsorts adorned the walls and on a quieter day I'd have wandered around to have a closer look. Two huge tv screens up high on both sides of the pub attracted footie fans to the days match and music played to others. Posters advertising live musicians soon to play here dotted the doors behind me and I could see from the variety of attractions, why this place is so popular with locals.

I didn't stay long, had to make the most of the daylight left. The town centre was busy too and not for the likes of me. I preferred to park in Marina Drive, stagger clumsily down the pebbled beach and toss a pebble in the sea for the next tide to wash back up.

I watched the tide recede as seagulls squawked above and kids squealed happily on the wet sand below the pebble line.

I felt happy to just sit people watching with my curious eyes and blonde thoughts. There was barely a puff of wind and the evening sun kept me warm, and I appreciated how peaceful and theraputic this was for me.

Then in the fading late sunshine I blasted up the M23 at a steady (just a wee bit faster than the speed limit), and was home to put the Harley to bed before dark o'clock.

No comments: