Sunday, February 19, 2006

Gadgets garage

Somewhere out in Gadgetmans' garage is just about anything you'd find useful for almost any project you could think of. He's even got spares for the spares.

His name is not without reasonable cause and now he has to live up to it too, as word of his name spreads. I'm sure he's known amongst our neighbours as the 'He'll-have-it' man, as well as the 'if-we-play-our cards-right-he'll-do-the-job-for-us-too' man.

He actively seeks out magazines & catalogues that feature the latest must-haves, secretly buying , hiding away, then later fooling me into believing that he had said 'gadget' all along.

Even the loft above the garage is stuffed with, one day, very useful things, things that we haven't needed in 14 years, so far, or if we have, then he hasn't been able to find it, and has had to go and buy a new whatever anyway.

All I wanted today was a large garden refuse bag for all the dead stuff and weeds that I felt like attacking in the front garden.

I confidently collected my shears and gloves, then stood in one corner and let my eyes scan the crowded garage for the familiar white, old salt sacks.

There was stuff piled high on the roof of the trailer, on all the seats of the trike, on and under the workbench, the floor, the shelves, hanging from hooks on the rafters, leaning against the trike and trailer, and on the lawnmower, and just a narrow path fed through to the workbench.

Yet again I had to call on his services to seek out the elusive sacks. I couldn't see the wood for the trees in there.

I should have known that they'd be in a bright yellow hospital incinerator- items bag, wedged down between the 'A' frame of the hook-up on the trailer, and under a car seat.

I suppose I was meant to just look deeper than the surface really.

About every 3 years I throw an utter wobbly and he has to accept another sort out. No sooner have we successfully sorted/tidied/compromised,(read-argued), and got rid of several car loads to the dump, the obvious happens and he discovers that he has just disposed of something that he really needs.

His 3 years are almost up...

Oh, to be clutter free.

No comments: