Monday, July 09, 2007

A healthier me



I can't beleive that after 28 years of smoking I am finally free from my addiction....well.....on the way anyway.

Zyban is helping by dealing with my cravings, and I have changed a few routines as well. I no longer drink copious quantities of coffee, (in fact I've not had any today).
I chew lots of gum and suck on sugarfree sweets during the day, and I swim and go to the gym on alternate days.

I'm only at the end of day 5 but my feeling is that I don't want to smoke anymore, rather than, oh just one cigarette a day won't do any harm, which is what is happening to a colleague.

I can still be around people that smoke but I just don't want smoke. Isn't it weird how Zyban can take away the thoughts about wants and cravings like that. The course is 7 weeks long, by which time I should be completely cured.

So that's an extra £5 a day in my pocket and £140 per month! Jeepers-creepers that's a lot!

I've had few of the side affects that are listed on the instructions. My mouth/lips are a bit dry, I've had nights of broken sleep with weird and disjointed dreams, and I seem to need to wee more but that's probably be down to the 2 litres of water that I'm drinking every day. My water bottle goes everywhere with me, it's becoming a comfort thing. Green tea is my evening drink now, full of powerful antioxidents to fight off free radicals apparently, a bit too much info for my head but it tastes nice enough.

I am seriously dieting too, I really want to shift this excess weight and get back to feeling comfortable about me. I don't intend to eat badly just because I'm not smoking so figured that to avoid doing just that I would work on both at the same time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've stopped - well done Robin, I'm thrilled about that! I will be beaming all my will power to you.

I want you to enjoy a healthy second half.

Pete

Anonymous said...

So very proud!
xxx Janice

Theblonde said...

Thanks guys. Yep, I'd like to be around to enjoy many years in Canada and at least this is one way that I can increase my chances....

meredic said...

Good for you! I may just wave this at She Of The Townhouse. The bugger keeps sneaking off to the back yard for a fag and we have to pretend that we don't notice.....

Pat said...

The benefits are priceless not just getting rid of phlegm build up but a rejuvenated skin to go with your blonde hair. You will bloom! I gave up in 1977 - not a moment too soon.

Good luck and well done!

Dave said...

Good for you. Its also good to see that England has finally caught up with the rest of the UK and banned smoking in enclosed public places. So benefits for you if you go to the pub.

Theblonde said...

meredic - Bet she pongs when she comes back in though!

Pat - Yes, I'm thinking of treating myself to my first EVER facial on the savings after the first couple of weeks!

Davem - The smokers at work have been banished to the farthest corner of the carpark, exposed to all weather. Ha! Not me though!

Thanks guys