Thursday, March 22, 2007

Invalid update

No luck so far on the job hunt front for Gadgetman as a way to get us into Canada, but I have discovered something interesting that brings a ray of hope to my heart.

I am so pleased to have this laptop of mine with wireless connection, right now in particular, whilst my ability to manoeuvre is restricted by my leg in cast. Internet research has kept me up way into the early hours most nights, sitting on the sofa with my legs up in perfect uninterrupted peace. Who would have thought that so much research was necessary or possible?

Well, it wouldn't be needed if I found the answers straight away and had a straight forward case, but I haven't so I keep following one line of enquiry until I've exhausted all avenues, then I pick up on something else and explore that.

People keep asking me how it's all going and just don't have any reason to know what's involved in such a huge life change. It's not only about finding the way to get the points or finding Gman a job, it's about thinking about and preparing for all sorts of things that have to be dealt with in anticipation of finally getting that visa.
What happens to child benefit abroad?
Does having a drivers record from DVLA help when getting insurance in Canada?
Can one use ones no claims bonus?
Do you have to pay any tax when taking large amounts of money abroad to Canada?
How does one get kids into schools?
What about getting credit?
What happens to a state or occupational pension?
What about medical care?
What are realistic living costs?
What's involved in taking the BC driving test?
Which shipping company is recommended by others?
Where does one go for the medical for the visa application?

The list goes on and on.

The forum that I've mentioned before is my main source as a starting point, and the other day I happened to find that someone else who was in the same job that I am, has been successful in claiming the vital 'education' points by submitting that our line of work is the same as a two year apprenticeship and therefore qualifies us for 20 extra points. His application was approved and within 4 months he received his visa and was on his way. He was nice enough to email me with details of how he evidenced his application.

I have also been in contact with the forum immigration consultant and filled in initial assessment forms to see what he could come up with. I attached a synopsis of my upbringing too, to explain why I am unable to prove my schooling because of our nomadic lifestyle. He backed up what I'd just found out and has asked for more specific details of my work training and background with a view to claiming points in the same way. This would mean that we are then able to at least apply for permanent residence via the skilled workers route and get in the queue that currently is 4-5 years long! who knows though, we could be fast tracked too.

I know that it sounds a ridiculously long time scale, but waiting is better than nothing and at least we can still look at getting Gman a job in the mean time.

Gadgeteen had his 'academic review' day yesterday so we borrowed a wheelchair from elderly neighbours so that I didn't have to stay behind. His school is on 4 floors and we had 5 minutes in each of his teachers classrooms.

I must say that I am very proud of Gteen at the moment, he has settled in to his new school very well now, and all but his English teacher said that they would like to see him in their GCSE classes. He has been moved up in Maths because he scored above his projected target level, and despite his self-belief, he is top of the class in French. His history teacher said that if he didn't sit with the 2 disruptive kids then he would do much better, but the up side of that is that those 2 kids are hardly ever there due to truanting. Gteen came out of there glowing with pride!

I had a couple of visitors yesterday, friends from work. They'd been out for a ride and popped in to check on the invalid. Persuaded me to sit on my bike and start her up. Mmmmm, can't wait to get out for a ride on her again. At least the engine hasn't seized up in protest at lack of use.

I arranged for an estate agent to visit this week, thought I might as well make use of the time whilst stuck at home. He said that we need to paint the house white, inside and out! Well, he would I suppose. We've still got jobs to do before ready to sell and don't want to sell until we go to Canada anyway but at least I could get an idea of the value. I was disappointed to hear him value it at £20-30 thousand under what I'd hoped but he did say that he couldn't really compare it to anything else because of the layout and the large workshop and recommended that I get another opinion.

Only another 11 days of the cast, it feels as if there are ants in there sometimes, and at others it digs into my leg uncomfortably. I look forward to doing some hard physical work afterwards to build some muscle up and lose some of this weight.

Oh, and this is what it looked like about an hour afterwards, see, it doesn't look obviously broken does it, just swollen. Gman took this on his camera and just didn't get around to downloading it.

No comments: