Thursday, September 28, 2006

The first rung on the ladder

Better spend a bit of time here too. I have been spending so much time on the internet researching Visas and work permits, jobs and schools, real estate, driving licences, shipping costs and exporting a V8 trike, vehicles and vehicle insurance, (we'd have to start again with the no-claims bonuses, as if we were beginers), SINs, (Social insurance number card?), healthcare, opening a bank account, earning a credit rating, reading local newspapers on-line, reading of others experiences, BC stastics, local activities and lots of other things besides.
I even started completing an on-line resume, (CV). Then I got stuck with all sorts of details that need to be expressed using Canadian terminology. I need help from my sister-in-law me thinks.
Also job listing titles can sound like gobbledegook, and often salaries are listed by an hourly rate, if at all. Companies don't want to know what sex you are or what marital status you have when completing the application, and it's against the law for them to ask. Mind you I've never had to complete a CV.
My sister-in-law has emailed me to say that they are willing to do whatever it takes to help us get there, and after next week, she will have a 'bit' more time to look into things from her end.

Other news, well our porch has finally been rendered and I am now able to get down, (up), to painting the front of the house and porch. As I prepared my 'tools' and set up my ladder, I reflected on the recent accident of a 'blogmate', who set off up a ladder to the eaves and fell off whilst up there, could have been worse but got covered in bruises and nearly put a permanent stop to any future chance of copulation. I thought seriously about my safety as I selected a metal double extension ladder (with no missing rungs) out of our choice of several. I found a board to put on the lawn under the legs of the ladder for stability and the ladder was at the correct angle for the height, ( I think it's 1m out for every 3m up, it just looked and felt right). I tested the stability by standing on the bottom rung and ensuring that both legs were flat against the wall and board, even making sure that the friction feet were level on the board. I dug out the 'ladder table' that hangs over the rungs to put my pot on. Once up there I maintained 3 points of contact at all times, ( two hands and a foot or one hand and two feet). What else? Oh yes, I wore shoes and not sandels, ( it was hot too), and overalls. The only thing I didn't do was tell anyone that I was up there because there was no-one to tell, to my advantage really because no-one around to distract me.
A few hours later and no dinner for the kids, I got the job done. It was very unsatisfying visually because it was the clear sealer coat. Only two coats of white and three coats of Spanish yellow to go!
Seriously though, I am grateful for my blogmates posting because as a result of his posting, I thought more about my safety up there. I do hope he is okay and is at least enjoying a few days off to recuperate.

No comments: