Sunday, July 23, 2006

Harley Blast

I finally get out for a ride this afternoon after a month of other priorities. For the last week it has been just too hot here anyway, even for riding. I wear leathers, jacket, gloves and boots in all weather, even though I'd love to get out there wearing alot less when the heat is extreme. My conscience won't allow me and it would be hypocritical too.

Today though, fluffy clouds and a light breeze softens the summer heat and humidity and I itch with impatient urges.

I dust her off and start her up and get her out onto the road, ready and waiting for Gadgetman to return from his bit of freedom to take over the reins.

D'ya know the sound she makes when I pull away out of the close gives me such a thrill. I open the throttle and feel the acceleration as we escape for a while out onto the open road. ahhhhh, that's better, single-carriageways wide enough for overtaking, then the dual carriageway bypass for a blat-blast up to 90(mph). Yesssss, I just love it and feel the familiar sprinkling of sparkles within me. I know that 90 isn't fast but when I'm stuck with speed restrictions and traffic, doing 50, the blast is like being unleashed from everything. Unfortunately no sooner do I open her up when I have come off the power and slow for the curves and villages of the A246.

At Newlands Corner I find this Harley V-Rod. I like the solid wheels, no chrome on them, and easier to clean.


and this Harley Night Train. I love the matt black engine casings, they don't show the dirt, a bit like having one of these modern self-cleaning ovens, you know the ones with sides that don't have to be cleaned...ever!


I sit on a bench with a space with my name on it, with my capuccino and bacon butty and chat to this guy.


I'm sure he said this bike has a 1450cc engine now, but it is shown on the site as having a 1340cc. He has changed it loads from the standard bike I see. Unusual pipes for around here, and so is the air filter. He says he trawls lots of catalogues looking for extras that take his fancy.

Another blast up the A3, 100 this time. I feel my neck muscles acutely and my chin strap pulls against my chin. My shades need re-adjusting. I watch for gaps in the middle lane of the three lanes, no chance that anyone can pull out on me then. I spy a gap and open her up a bit more. My ride is complete and I am recharged.

No comments: