Sunday, March 19, 2006

Too good to waste




T’was much warmer today, too good to waste, had to get out on my (clean, some oil, air in the tyres and shiny) Babe, and even dug out my old open-faced helmet, though it suffers from foam dandruff and moults its lining it’s that old.

I prefer the relative freedom of the open face, I can talk to people with it on, face to face, and be seen and heard. (yes, yes, even above the sound of the bike).

Boxhill was heaving with bikes, mainly sporty speed machines, and after a quick coffee and walk around, I headed off along the A25 to Newlands Corner. Great bends but full of Sunday car drivers, not that I want to kick the arse out of it but I like the bendy bits on an empty road.

Newlands Corner faces the afternoon sun and is protected from the chilling breeze. Fewer bikes, and the bikers that come here come to socialize with a coffee and a view.

I sat soaking up the warmth of the sun and views, and got chatting with a biker couple who have a Heritage soft-tail in Devon, a retired Chief-Superintendent on a pan European, a research scientist, (fuels of the future), and the chap who came on the cherry red Sportster 883 that was on Ebay when I was fantasizing. We had both looked at these two bikes whilst daydreaming that weekend. His is newer, with lower mileage, but it has a seat that collects rain, (buttons leave little wet circles on yer bum). She also has loads of after market chrome extras affixed, tarty bits I call them. I had in fact revisited this cherry red Sportster site several times, but opted for mine cos it’s black and a 1200 for the same price that he paid for the 2005 883, that and mine was only 4 miles away.

Got to keep the cobwebs away and the battery charged somehow.

No comments: