Thursday, March 02, 2006

Learning the lingo

The lack of a posting here is down to:

1) Trying to get a photo accepted onto my profile page, simple you may think but not for me.

I managed to upload a photo to my blog, first acheivement. Next I tried to upload said photo to my profile from my blog, but got a rejection saying that my photo was too big and could only be 50kb . Shit, how do I make that happen then?
SB helped me out there with advice on what to try, but then it was rejected again, this time the url was too long. Oh bollocks, how do I shorten the url?

SB and I eventually got together for a 'computer only' session on Tuesday evening. He played with my photo a bit to darken my features and the back ground. Then he renamed, (shortened), the jpg. and we got it accepted at last.

2)Trying to understand how to copy the 'links' set up into my blog.

The instructions say that you copy it into the template somewhere in the sidebar. You do what? This is a foreign language to me. I have spent the last few days and weeks in between everything else going on in my life, scrolling through my template trying to understand what all the gobbledeegook meant and reading the 'help' info, which assumes more basic knowledge than I had.
I tried copying & inserting the 'link' url'in several different places on the template and previewing the insertions but nothing seemed to change.
Last night, finally, can you just imagine my euphoria when I actually made it work? As I continue to play with the template I will suss out more of language.

3) Yesterday I was finally accepted for Britblig, the 4143rd member. I'm easily pleased and perhaps overreacted a bit when I shouted, "Yes, yes, I've done it!" Followed by several leaps up and down whilst punching the air triumphantly.
You see, I was turned down when I first started blogging in January and I can only assume that my rejection was due to my site not containing enough posts to be able to be assessed for suitability and location, and not having visual little extras. (Not very good at doing this yet either).
My acceptance spurred me into fervoured fingered activity last night and the next step in developing my site was that I of course wanted to insert the britblog icon/link.
Easier said than done for a novice like me. That brings us back to understanding the content of the template, which I covered in (2) above, so I copied it to below the eblogger icon as it now is.

Can anyone relate to any of the above?

So here I am ..........a novice in blogland.

No comments: