Monday, February 13, 2006

A trip up memory lane

D'you know, it's such a pleasure to be able to come here and say what I want.

Admittedly, so far, all I seem to find myself writing is stuff in my head that mainly appears to get me into trouble.


Todays blog, I have decided, is about appreciating the good stuff that my parents, somehow, despite our life style, managed to instil in my awareness, just stuff that I have a' feel good factor' about. It's also a trip up, (in this case), memory lane for my Dad.

Here are 20 things that I appreciate them for showing me by example only sometimes:

1) It's okay to be different, but be adaptable.
2) Conversation can be stimulating/ Communicating is fun.
3) Be open to new ideas/opinions.
4) Think of others.
5) Be fair and non-judgemental.
6) Be true to yourself.
7) Be practical. (As self-sufficient as possible).
8) Be independant of spirit.
9) Scrabble. (It's the family game).
10) Enjoy reading. (self-sufficiency again).
11) Flexibility. (best laid plans and all that).
12) Have a go at anything even if it's scary.
13) Sailing. (only in warm climes though).
14) Accept responsibility for mistakes.
15) Compromise.
16) Right from wrong.
17) The world is your oyster.
18) Frugality. (At least I know how to live on a shoe string, doesn't mean I do).
19) Self-discipline/motivation.
20) Spend within your means.

Okay, so maybe the list could go on and on. Suffice to say that I love my mum and dad and am lucky to have had the upbringing that they provided.
I've just blasted down to see them for a quick over-nighter. Billy Joel kept me company on the way.
Dad is bedridden and mum cares for him 24/7, with a bit of respite care to help.
She hoists him up in an overhead electric sling to get him in and out of bed.

A far cry from us hoisting him up the mast on our boat with a halyard wrapped around a winch.

"Hey Dad, I said, as I watched this latest form of tranport, " Just imagine that we're hauling you up the mast on Kim. "

A smile spread across his face at the memory. I continued.

"Remember the sun burning down out of a clear blue sky.
Feel the heat on your shoulders as you adjust yourself in the bosuns chair.
Climb past the neatly stowed and covered mainsail.
Reach around the warm mast and hold the halyards for support.
Feel the breeze as you rise above us. Up you go through the rigging, through the stays to the crosstrees.
Pause and stand on them, carefully, close to the mast, stronger there.
Take in the view from the unusual vantage point.
Reach for the other halyards to steady your balance.
"Are you okay?" We call up to you, our necks straining to look up.
We catch our breath. "Lighten up, you're too heavy!"
You laugh.
On up you go, 65' to the top.
Less rigging here.
"Slow down, got to get me round to the other side." You say. A few more winds of the handle.
You're there now. "Shall we cleat you off then?" Our voices far below. "Right that'll do then. Don't go far," you reply.
We cleat you off and leave you to sort out your lofty problem."

A look of concern crossed Dads face. He can't talk now but the look said it all.

Mum and I chuckled as she pushed the button to lower Dad onto his bed, a return from a slightly different journey this time.
We instinctively knew that Dad thought that we would actually leave him up there.

Just for old times sake.

No comments: